mepainting1

This Is The Result When Two Artists Roam The...

slide_203129_1574741_free

The Weirdest Festival In The World Is Based Around...

Vloggers Inspiring And Connecting The World

Photographer Experiments With The Natural Beauty Of Women

Ben Hopper photographed over twenty stunning women with armpit hair for the photo series ’Natural Beauty’. With these controversial images he aims to surprise both men and women. Ben talks to IntoConnection about the comeback of armpit hair and why it is more than just a feminist statement.

Ben_Hopper__Daniela_Gale_for_“Natural_Beauty”

© Ben Hopper

The women in the series range from professional models to architecture students and from actresses to fashion designers. Ben did receive some criticism on the women he photographed for the Natural Beauty series, the critical ones were asking him why he choose to mainly photograph skinny, pretty women as his subject.

140306_AlessandraKurr_MG_4419

© Ben Hopper

Ben however deliberately chose for the stereotype “pretty” women. His idea was to take the stereotype and then mess around with it. In Natural Beauty you see something that you are used to -the pretty women you see in commercials, campaigns and advertisements- but there is a strong contrast added in the photo: they have armpit hair.

© Ben Hopper

The photographer came up with the idea of Natural Beauty back in 2007 when he just started with photography. He thought it would be an interesting, repelling subject. Ben himself has always been into the natural look, it is not only attractive to him but he also admires the powerful image. Looking back he thinks that he might came up with the idea while joking around, fantasising about a photo of a model with armpit hair on the cover of a fashion magazine. Will that ever happen? According to Ben it should.

Ben Hopper

Ben Hopper

Ben Hopper is a London-based photographer, filmmaker and artist. He is originally from Israel but now works and lives in the United Kingdom. Ben primarily working with dancers, circus artists and contemporary nudes.

You Might Like This

13 Responses to Photographer Experiments With The Natural Beauty Of Women

1. Tao says:

Eh. It’s all personal choice.
    I personally don’t like it, nor find it attractive. But with that, I also am not very attracted to slim women either.
    And just for the record, I also shave my legs, armpits and other areas for my own comfort; not for anyone else :P

2. Frank says:

Well, what is beauty? I really don’t know exactly what it is, but armpit hair or the lack of it doesn’t matter. I see strong female and natural personalities an I like it.

3. [email protected] says:

I’m 26 and I’ve never seen my armpit hair grown out before. I’ve been shaving since the day my first hair spouted.

4. Kelsey says:

Lol this is so stupid. They’re all skinny. They’re all beautiful. They’re all wearing make up and have had their hair done.

So they’ve got hairy armpits.

Woooahhh! Edgy. :/

5. karyl says:

Personally think he has done a fab job. Keeping the ladies to the accepted skinny,beautiful norm society has gravitated towards and added their natural body hair is inspired! Ladies have hair whoever they are and whatever role they have in life.. it is breathtaking to be reminded of models as people..long live armpit hair

6. gina says:

Hmm natural beauty… plus tattoos.

7. Anthony says:

I just think its sad if it has to be a trend for something perfectly natural to be accepted.

8. Elise says:

What I find interesting is that yes, they have natural pit hair … but the last photo has a model who has clearly had a bikini wax. So, pit hair is sexy (or feminist, or natural), but pubic hair? Unacceptable? Even though far more women keep that area natural than their armpits.

9. Margo says:

I would buy that this is feminist if his other work was about social issues and not blatant sex and nudity.

He realized he finds armpit hair attractive so decides to do a shoot with a bunch of women he finds attractive and asks them to grow their armpit hair out for the shoot. Serving his own lust by means of his subject choices does not = female empowerment, it’s just using these women to satisfy himself.

It’s a nice project, but not all that different from regular media.

10. how to says: